Hyosung GB Owners Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charging help

2 posters

Go down

Charging help Empty Charging help

Post by joel352 Sun 6 Oct 2013 - 22:13

I know its not a Hyosung but I know some of you have had charging issues with your hyos.Rolling Eyes 
Went out for a ride and ended up at the side of the road with no power. Bike turned on fine push starter button and it made a pathetic attempt to crank and lost all power. Anyway RAC kindly gave me a lift home, got home battery on charge 0% charge. Powered it up went out for 5 mins, lights went very dim, and put back on charger 25%.
So something isn't charging the battery. How do I test if its the alternator or the regulator rectifier.

On another note, my new exhaust is on. Road legal can, baffels removed.
Shame I cannot ride it Crying or Very sad 

Charging help 20131010
Charging help 20131011
joel352
joel352

Back to top Go down

Charging help Empty Re: Charging help

Post by Admin Mon 7 Oct 2013 - 0:06

Not sure how to test stuff Joel ........ I wish I could 'cos I'm at a loss with my own still No No No 

In Feb this year , I replaced the Reg/Rec and fitted a new battery , then in March I replaced the Stator ........... and still my feckin' battery dies every time I'm out Mad Mad Mad Mad 

Went out today with my son ....... 1 & half hour ride - park up for a couple of hours followed by 2 hour ride home ........ about 30 mins from home stopped and switched off for about 5 mins and my bike wouldn't start .... had to bump it ( luckily we stopped on a hill )...........

At my wits end with it now TBH ....... still off work after the H.A. so funds are tight or I'd be paying somebody to sort it (already spent around £350 on the electrics this year alone )Shocked Shocked 

If I can't get it sorted soon , then she's gonna have to go ( been fancying an old Kawa ZX9R or Yam Thunderace for a while now ) Neutral Neutral Neutral ...............

Wish I could help you mate but I'm just as stumped as you are Embarassed Embarassed 
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://hyogboc.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 Mon 7 Oct 2013 - 21:52

Well I came to the conclusion that it was my reg rec. Worked one day and the next it went tits up. Suzuki recalled the K6 reg recs a few years ago because of issues and after talkin to bradford motorcycles they told me to call colin appleyards in keighley and taking a few of the bikes details, the reg rec was replaced under the recal so im done there. And a new one is £200.

Alec at bradford motorcycles knows me quite well and rang malcome the parts guy up at colin appleyards and asked if anything could be done and im getting a new reg rec fitted for £150.Very Happy

Do you have HIDs baz. I know they can be prone to drane the battary down if here high power ones. Just a thought.
joel352
joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 Tue 8 Oct 2013 - 22:14

Well I managed to get the bike to colin appleyards this mornig with almost no power. Bike went in and jumped the que and was straight in bits. They tested the reg rec and it was working so came the question is it the stator. And luck would have it as malcom put it the stator is fucked. So I saved myself £150 with the reg rec but now need to fork out £200 for the stator a gasket 1 hours labour and then the labour for fitting. So we are looking around £400 for a job lot.
joel352
joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 1:39

Ouch !!!!! £400 Shocked Shocked Shocked 

That sounds like 1000% mark up ..........

Have a look at these bud Neutral 

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Suzuki_Alternators.html#a393

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/2006-gsxr-750-stator

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STATOR-SUZUKI-GSXR600-750-magneto-GSXR-600-2006-2009-MOTORCYCLE-generator-/370911649079

I think I would just buy the stator and a new gasket and do the job myself ............ in fact , that's what I did do with mine Laughing Laughing 

It's not a difficult job Joel ........... undo the stator cover and the stator itself should be bolted to the back of the cover ( the Hyo is fastened with 3 @ M5 cross had screws ) ....... there will be wires coming from the stator which will have a block connector on the end ( so basically just plug and play )Smile 

Put it all back together using a new gasket ( VERY IMPORTANT ..... to prevent oil leaks Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ) and some nice fresh oil ( I lost about a litre of oil when I took the cover off so make sure you either drain the oil first or put something under the bike to catch it Wink  )

For the sake of a Saturday/Sunday morning to do the job ( the longest part of the job for me was removing the old gasket ) , buying the parts yourself will cost around £100 .............. save yourself some serious dough mate Wink 

To answer your other question ......... YES , I do have a HID kit fitted on the low beam ....... I'll have to check the output and see whether it is that draining my battery ( nice one mate ) Cool 

Baz
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 19:02

I know its an easy(ish) job but as I have just got the bike and if anything Major(ish) goes im paying for it doing buy a bike shop so I have a bit of history for when I come to sell the bike even though its going to cost me an arm and a leg. Crying or Very sad 
So far I have history for this years service in May and not much else. But bike goes away and then it is getting serviced by Bradford Motorcycles so I have a bit more history and then if anything needs doing I will be doing it myself.
Well that's my plan anyway. Razz 

With your HId's baz, my friends on his ninja 250 were draining his battery and I was reading about some for the GIXXER and some people were saying there batteries were being drained. Its worth a look at.
joel352
joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed 9 Oct 2013 - 19:10

joel352 wrote:
With your HId's baz, my friends on his ninja 250 were draining his battery and I was reading about some for the GIXXER and some people were saying there batteries were being drained. Its worth a look at.
Cheers for that mate Cool Cool 

I'll get my lad to throw his multimeter over it next time he comes round Very Happy 

Baz
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 Thu 10 Oct 2013 - 17:39

Got the bike back. Total cost was £193.82 for stator, gasket and oil. Labour was £134.52 and VAT at £65.67, so overall £394.01. A bit expensive but fixed in 2 days isnt bad.
joel352
joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 11 Oct 2013 - 12:50

Glad you got it sorted mate Smile 

Baz
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down