New Bike for Bazza

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Bike for Bazza

Post by Admin on Wed 20 Aug 2014 - 22:27

Not been on the forum as much as I should be lately due to work commitments and such ........... also been having a little trouble with my Hyo  No 

No Was going to adjust the chain and couldn't undo one of the adjuster bolts at the end of the swinging arm , so decided to take the wheel out so I could get a better purchase on the end of the bolt . The wheel spindle then didn't want to come out either so I decided to '' persuade '' it with the proverbial '' Big Hammer ''.....................

I tapped the end of the spindle once ( not too hard I hasten to add so as not to inflict severe damage to the end and thread ) when a MASSIVE lump of rust dropped to the floor  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked 

Turns out it was from underneath the swinging arm , which now has a hole in it that I can fit 4 fingers into ( reminds me of a lass I once knew  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  )

So one trip to Ebay later , I was then the proud owner of a 2011 model swinging arm for the princely sum of £40 ( didn't consider that a bad price all in all ) ............ so with work commitments being as they are AND the fact my MOT was nearly due ( just over 3 weeks to be exact ) , I put my bike into a local garage that had been recommended by a few mates ............. Change the swingarm , fit new front tyre and MOT - simples  Very Happy  Very Happy 

How wrong could I be  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes 

Within 45 mins of the bike going in , Chris the garage owner , rang me to say all the bolts he was trying to undo were either snapping or twisting ready to snap , as they were all corroded and wanted to know what I wanted him to do ......... Carry on I said , it HAS to be done  Neutral 

90 mins later , Chris rang again to say he was stopping the job as it was going to be too labour intensive ( would hold every other job up in the shop ) as all the bolts and exhaust studs were corroded ( the pipe from the rear cylinder passes through the swingarm as does the rear shock ) , so he was concerned he would have to drill and tap every bolt and stud ( even talked about removing the engine to do it ) ............. basically he hadn't allowed enough time for the job , didn't fancy it once he realised what it would entail and so back-heeled it with a parting shot of - '' it's gonna cost more than the bike is worth mate !!!!!!! ''

So to cut a long story short , my Hyo is now sat in work in an old workshop waiting for me to do the job myself ( with a little help from my son ) ........ there isn't a big rush to do it just yet ( the plan is to get it done in time for when my son turns 24 as that's when he will do his Direct Access ,  so it will be his first big bike )  Cool  Cool 

In the meantime , Bazza has bought himself a fresh set of wheels to scoot around on  Wink 

My new ride 

She's a 2001 model Kawasaki ZX9R-E1 ......... Pipewerx end can , 32000 miles on the clock but still quite good condition ( looks like she's lived in a garage or indoors of some description ) and came with 12 months MOT too  Very Happy  Very Happy 

I've had my little 650R Hyo for the last 7 years and had quite forgotten just how SMOOOOOTH an inline 4 cylinder bike could be ( I got rid of 2 x 750 fours when I got the Hyo ) Wink 

I'm loving the difference but I do miss the 650 to be honest ( you never know the 9R may end up as my lads first bike  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  )............ and I'll still be around on the forum too - you don't get rid of me that easy  lol!  lol!  lol!  lol! 

Baz

Admin
Admin

http://hyogboc.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Bike for Bazza

Post by NickC on Thu 21 Aug 2014 - 18:47

sweet ride Baz  Very Happy 

when do I get a go  Laughing 

NickC

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri 22 Aug 2014 - 21:53

Haha ........... anytime you want mate  Wink 

You'll love it ..... trust me  Cool 

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonpage on Sun 24 Aug 2014 - 14:49

Nice ride Baz, hope you get the Hyo sorted without to much trouble

dragonpage

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon 25 Aug 2014 - 14:23

Cheers Jon  Cool

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Sun 7 Sep 2014 - 21:58

Tasty Baz. Sorry to hear about the Hyo. Some things have there floors and my Hyo its was rust. A bit of time and effort though it should come up nicely. At least you have a bike to still ride around on.
I ended up selling the Gixxer. Insurance was due in August and it went from £1100 a year to £2340. I refuse to pay that so I sold it and traded up for this little (massive) beauty

Its a 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100. Il upload some more photos when I get chance.
Insurance is a surprising £90 a month full comp for a 20 year old lad so im not complaining.

Last edited by joel352 on Sun 7 Sep 2014 - 22:48; edited 1 time in total

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Sun 7 Sep 2014 - 22:09

One previous owner. 8000 miles on clock.
Fully serviced, taxed and MOTd.
Now the parts list
Full titanium Termi system with ECU and power commander 3.
Higher compression bigger boar pistons from 1080cc to 1100cc.
Open clutch cover with slipper clutch and anodized friction plate (sounds like a tractor Very Happy )
Limited edition forged marchasini gold wheels and original black ones
Ohlins rear shock with custom fitted spring
Maxtron forks
Brembo gold monoblock callipers of a RSV4
Larger free flowing airbox
Braded hoses
Ducati performance seat
Shite loads of carbon fibre
Crash bungs
Renthal Fat bar
Ducati performance steering damper
Datatool alarm

There is probs some stuff I have missed but it came with a folder an inch thick with parts paperwork so im still going through it.

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by NickC on Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 13:24

That's sexy as fook Joel, how hard is it to keep the front end down ???

How's the a zx9 Baz ??

NickC

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 13:44

The front end never stays down lol Very Happy
When I picked it up the guy in ducati manchester said il need more fork seals than front tyres Razz

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 14:29

Damn that looks NICE Joel  Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Cheers for the comments guys BUT .....................

On Saturday 30th Aug. , myself and Newbymick ( former moderator and Hyo rider off Korider.com ) were on our way home from North Wales , having been down to spend the weekend with GeeMan ( former Hyo rider and Korider.com member ) .

We had spent Friday and Saturday riding the back roads of North Wales ........ Gee on his Kawasaki ZX12R , Mick on his Honda CBF1000 and myself on the 9R  Very Happy

As said , Myself and Mick were on our way back ........ we rode down the A55 into Chester where we intended to cut across country using A and B roads , heading for the likes of Tarvin , Winsford , Congleton ........... our destination was Macclesfield where we would ride The Cat & Fiddle over to Buxton then head down towards Glossop where we would part company ....... me heading for home and Mick heading up and onto The Snake Pass ( he was booked into The Snake Pass Inn for the night ) , where he would stay the night and on Sunday morning he would ride the rest of the Snake Pass into Sheffield where he would pick up the M1 to ride home South back down to Crawley ( yes Crawley , Sussex ) Wink

Unfortunately , myself leading the way on a B road near Jodrell Bank Observatory , we went in to a left hander ............... I braked , dropped 2 gears and let the bike settle before I tipped in ........ the bend was tighter than I anticipated ( read poor obs  Embarassed Embarassed )

I applied a little pressure to the left bar ( countersteering ) to bring the bike down lower and at the same time opened the throttle a little more to power the bike round ...........

What happened next is still a little fuzzy ....... but the back wheel let go and the bike started to slide away from me , HOWEVER ..... before I even had time to think , the bike decided not to slide but TO GRIP ........... don't know if the tyre gripped or something dug in ( footpeg maybe ? ) and the next thing I know is the bike is HIGHSIDING me into the road  Shocked Shocked Shocked

I face planted the tarmac , rolled a couple of times and finally slid on my back into the grass verge on the opposite side of the road  affraid affraid

To cut a LONG story short ........... I was ambulanced to Macclesfield General where I was diagnosed with a broken collarbone , 3 broken ribs , a broken shoulder blade ( very rare bone to break as its quite strong apparently ) and a shit load of bruises ALL down my ride side  Shocked Shocked

Was in hospital over the rest of the weekend and came home Monday evening ........... the bike had been recovered by the police and taken to a compound where I went to see it on Saturday ( 6th Sep. ) so as to recover my panniers which were still strapped to the bike ............ IT'S FOOKED  Sad Sad Sad

Left side is barely touched but the right side ( brake side ) , the fairing is destroyed , the exhaust can is ruined ( looked brand new too ) and WORST OF ALL ......... there is a HUGE dent in the frame about 10 inches below the headstock , which according to the guy at the recovery compound will mean INSTANT WRITE-OFF  No No No No

Due to the bikes' age ( she's 2 months off being 13 yrs old ) and the amount of damage , he reckons it will be an un-economical repair .......... to which I would agree  Sad

I was worried it would happen but praying it would just be broken plastics in which case it could have been repaired fairly easily ( I would have bought it back and used 2nd hand panels if it were written off that way ) BUT with damage to the frame , it's just not worth the hassle now  No No ....................

GUTTED

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 16:45

Fooking hell baz. Shitter about the bike and you just got it as well. It looked clean but with the damage im thinking they will write it off Sad .

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by NickC on Mon 8 Sep 2014 - 21:23

Shit the bed Baz, thought you'd just had a slide didn't realise it was that bad.

At least your ok mate bones and bruises will heal, shame about the bike but it can be replaced mate Smile

NickC

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed 10 Sep 2014 - 18:18

Cheers guys  Wink

Insurance phoned yesterday and YES , the bike is a write off ............ first one in 33 years though , so not too bad a record  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gutted I only had the 9R for 3 weeks though and one of those I couldn't ride it  Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Just gotta decide what I'm having next now  Cool Cool Cool

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 10:20

Get a ducati baz Very Happy
Or if you want to do a MASSIVE project im selling my old gsxr 750 slingshot. Its just a modified frame with ninja backend on it with all original parts.
I was going to do a streetfighter job but im too lazy. I have no more motivation.
Took engine out did a bit of fettling up got board been in garage since forever.

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 13:06

Cheers Joel ..... but I'll give that a one a miss if you don't mind  Wink

I need a bike that I can use straight away otherwise I have no transport , plus the fact I have no garage , shed etc to store a project like that so it would be difficult ................... and as I still have my Hyo to fix Mrs Baz would string me up by my wotsits if I bought another project  lol! lol!

Ducati out of my price range too ............ all I have to spend is what I will get from the insurance and that is less than I paid for the 9R thanks to compulsory excess  No No

Don't know whether to go for another but maybe older 9R or a Yamaha Thunderace ( always liked those ) ............. or should I go the '' old man '' route and maybe try a Honda VFR800 or Triumph ST 955i ( less sport and more tourer )  Laughing Laughing

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 17:24

I love the look of the older vfr's. Id put my money on one of them.

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 17:48

Well these are the most likely contenders  Wink

Sports

ZX9R C1-C2

Thunderace

Sports Tourer

VFR800i

ST955i

Don't think there's too much difference in performance between the pairs ( ZX9 v Thunderace etc ) but obviously there will be between the Sports v Tourer  Smile

Biggest difference will be in seating position really  Cool

Must admit , the 9R that was written off , wasn't the most comfortable bike ........... on '' normal '' / country roads it was OK , especially as I tend to move around in the seat and shift my body weight in the corners ( read hang off  Wink ) , but on motorways and dual carriageways the sportsbike riding position doesn't agree with my old body  Laughing Laughing and the backs of my thighs have been cramping /aching  Embarassed Embarassed

Was starting to do a few stretching exercises and stuff as I figured it could just have been me being used to the Hyo riding position ( it has been 7 years ) and so just needed to give it a little bit of time to adjust myself before doing anything drastic like changing bars or lowering footpegs etc. 

Otherwise , the bike was a dream and it is tempting to get another just to see if I could adapt to it ( loved the power and handling ) but then again , the guys I went to Wales with want to go to Europe next year so if I can't get used to travelling long distance on a Sports bike , it could be a waste of money  Neutral
So maybe the Sports Tourer could be the better option anyway .............................. watch this space lol! lol! 

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 0:14

VFR all the way baz. tongue

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Commuter on Sat 27 Sep 2014 - 18:41

WTF! Sorry about the ZX mate. At least your missus didn't force a promise out of you while you were semi-conscious.
I see where you're going with the Sprint ST. I had a similar dilema some time back and went for a speed triple but although it was a nice bike, it was too damned heavy. After a few years i finished with the speed triple and got a Yamaha FZ6... the one with the R6 engine slightly detuned and lots of bad press write ups from hacks who were looking for a softy mid ranger like the air cooled FZ600. The bike ticked all of the boxes. Good power, light weight, uncramped riding position. The S2 version came with better brakes. What is even better, there was a fared version which had a centre stand which is very handy for chain lubing in the street. I had the naked version but I bought a centre stand for it.
I really learnt how to take the edge off the tyres with that bike. Jamie Whitham did a write up on one... it sums up the FZ6 perfectly.
Hope you mend soon Baz.
Regards, Geof

Commuter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat 27 Sep 2014 - 21:16

Cheers Geoff  Wink

Good to hear from you after all this time mate  Cool

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun 26 Oct 2014 - 18:49

Well , just thought I'd post a quick update as I haven't been on here for a little while  Smile

I'm still off work at present with my arm in a sling as per Doc's orders ......... I'm supposed to take my arm out for short periods to exercise and get some range of movement back into my shoulder before I see the Doc again again on 3rd Nov.

So as yet , I have nothing to report on the bike front ........... not been able to fix up my Hyo and as of yet can't afford to spend cash on another bike either  Neutral

It's been pretty frustrating to be honest , there have been some really nice days where I've had to sit in , instead of being out riding ( and knowing that by the time I'm ready to ride again , the weather will most likely have turned for the worst ) ......... that and the fact I'm stoney broke so I can't even have a new bike sat outside to clean and drool over , just makes the whole thing even worse   Sad Sad

Still . got to look on the bright side I suppose , I 'm still here to tell the tale AND I still have my Hyo , so next year I intend to be out as much as humanly possible ...... not done much more than commute for the last 18 months or so , so I am hoping to make up for lost time  Cool Cool Cool

In the meantime watch this space ....... things have a habit of changing  Laughing Laughing Laughing

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed 12 Nov 2014 - 18:50

Well , the latest news is still not favourable  Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Saw the consultant last week and had my shoulder x-rayed ........ my collar bone has STILL NOT healed  Shocked Shocked

The bones have not knitted together as yet , so he has given me ANOTHER 4 weeks to heal and then he will refer me to a colleague of his for bone graft and plating ........ which will obviously mean more time off work  No No No

Getting fed up now ...... need to ride a bike before I go mad  Laughing Laughing

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joel352 on Thu 13 Nov 2014 - 20:54

Ouch. Bones take time unfortunately. Sad

joel352

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 0:50

Especially at my age too worst luck  Wink

Baz

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickC on Fri 14 Nov 2014 - 0:53

Just rest up and you'll be ready for next year the weather will get shitter by the day now Wink

NickC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 19:15

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top